Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Music-Interactive-Notebook-Pages-Rhythms-Dynamics-Tempos-Articulations


Interactive Notbooks - Update 

UPDATE: Hello everyone! I have been at a new school with 

nearly3x the students! Eek! Interactive notebooks haven't been 

feasible here, so I haven't been keeping up with them I do have 

some of the things I've use available for free (see the links below)

and I'm working on uploading more!


https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Music-Interactive-Notebook-Pages-Rhythms-475383

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Music-Interactive-Notebook-Pages-Dynamics- 


Tempos-Articulations-424104

I know that a few of you are on the "interactive notebook" journey


with me. I haven't been "journey-ing" very well in October,

because, well, Halloween songs and activities are my absolute

favorite and my students and have been busy!


However, I'm hoping to get these updates into my students'


notebooks ASAP. Check them out!

This easy foldable can be used for logging "new rhythms". 

The rhythm is drawn in the middle. 

The flaps read: "real name", "word with same number of sounds", 

"number of sounds", "number of beats". You can see below how 


I answered these for "tika tika".





Here's another rhythm foldable - this one is cross-curricular.

Check-out how the kiddos have to identify the rhythm and then 

create a bar-graph:





Isn't it convenient that the lines on the music staff equal the

number of fingers on the human hand? :) I can't wait to add this

little picture in as we go over absolute pitch:






The foldables are for basic listening vocabulary words. I'm thinking

about introducing one type (say "tempo") per lesson, paired with 


interesting listening examples (I love Eric Chapelle's 

"A Tale of Two Cities" for loud vs. quiet - Half the class is the 

"loud city" and they stomp around the room with big movements, 


the other half is the "quiet city" and they tip-toe around with small

movements - lots of fun for any age). After we listen or move to 

some of the terms, the students can complete their notebook pages

(see below). The students can find the answers on various posters, 


anchor charts, etc. around the room.









a




Now, anytime we listen to a piece, the students can uses these

pages a reference. I think this will be very engaging because they'll 

get to flip into their own work, check out pictures, and read what 

they wrote as the definition.


I'm literally slapping myself for not thinking of these pages sooner. 

My 4th graders are going to an orchestral concert on Thursday, so

I've been very busy with them reviewing the instruments of the 

orchestra. We used a few charts in our notebooks already to log in

notes about each instrument, but, had I had these printables glued in

for them to use, I think their work would have been much better 

organized (and the pictures can't hurt either).

I'll definitely be using these with my 3rd and 5th graders.










I'd suggest teaching one family per lesson (I love to use SFS Kids

when teaching the instruments). 


Students can take notes under each flap and add extras (such as 


other family members, playing techniques, etc.)around the edges

of the foldable. Supplement their note-taking with discussions

and video-clips from YouTube.







No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Teach Music & Movement to Young Children

by SARA IPATENCO Aug. 13, 2015 Many children enjoy listening and moving to music. Integrating some music and movement activities int...

Posts